Religious Discrimination and Racial Harassment:
What Ever Happened to MarShawn DeMur?
Instructions: Please open the attachment and read the SHRM case study. Respond to the five (5) questions identified below (not those in the attached case study but the ones designed for our HRMN 408 class outlined in these instructions). Be specific in your responses and each response should include at least two classroom resources. Do not combine the discussion questions as the use of the outline will help you organize your research and comments and ensure you do not miss any questions that must be addressed. Your responses to each question must be in narrative format not bullets.
Action: Respond to all five questions below. Utilize the resources from the class and make sure to have appropriate sources to support your responses. Answer each of the questions in narrative form (not bullet points).
Question 1 – Relevant Facts
What are the relevant facts and specific employment laws that support Maalick's contention that he was not promoted due to religious discrimination? Be specific.
Question 2 – Religious Accommodation
Are there any facts to support the contention that Maalick was not given accommodations due to his religious beliefs? Be specific.
Question 3 – HR Director's Actions
a. Characterize the actions of the HR director in response to the overall situation between Maalick, the supervisor and coworkers. Be specific.
b. Prevention and Proactive Actions by HR Director. What could the HR Director have done to prevent this situation and what more could she do to ensure that this type of situation would not occur in the future? Be specific.
Question 4 – Acts of Religious and Racial Harassment
What were the actions of the supervisor and coworkers that could be considered as religious and racial harassment? Discuss the two harassment issues separately. (Define and explain by citing the specific laws).
Question 5 – Clive Jenkin's Behavior
Was Clive Jenkin's behavior in direct violation of Treton’s EEO and discrimination policies? Why or why not? As the HR professional, what else would you consider regarding discrimination policies to educate and inform employees. Be specific.
Formatting directions for this assignment #2
· Use the bold headings found in the outline above in your paper to denote the different questions.
· Paper must be in APA 7.0 edition style, narrative format (not in bullet points nor PowerPoint).
· Include a cover page which should have student name and title of your paper.
· Each of the five questions should have at least two classroom resources per question.
· Include a reference section at the end of your paper with citations/references in APA 7.0 style format.
· Use a word-processing software and saved with a .doc, .docx, or .rtf extension. Do not submit in a pdf format.